Friday, June 20, 2008

Bootracker, May 18th 2008, Amsterdam

A rectification on this review: I mention the Backstreets that was send to me. It appears I made in error in presuming that the preview featured in the review came from this tape. I was wrong in that respect. Good things are coming!

I've already discussed the show at length, so I'll only take a short time out to discuss this recording currently circulating on the Dime. Somebody was kind enough to send me a killer preview of "Backstreets" yesterday. So I was looking forward to hear the full tape. Although the recording certainly has its brilliant moments, its not all good I'm afraid. From the description on the Dime I've gathered that the taper borrowed his dad's expensive recording device, but unfortunately came too late to capture the full show. So the tape starts at a cut "Gypsy Biker" and than goes on with a jumbled "Prove it All Night". It sounds as if the taper was extra careful not to get caught with his father's recording device, maybe hiding the microphone at times. There's moments where the sound is suddenly muffled. There's a few talkers near to the taper as well who get pretty disruptive at times. As a fanatic I'm shocked at how people can talk through "Darkness on the Edge of Town", but maybe that's just me. So in short, its a messy tape with flashes of brilliance. The essential part of the show were captured quite nicely, rowdy and messy like the performance. While the tape doesn't quite catch the gist of the show, it does demonstrate why people were raving over the encores.

"Stand on It/7 Nights to Rock"

MP3 File

Download the 'full' show in mp3 here
A small request, use mp3s for personal use only. Keep them in your iPod or on your computer but never use a mp3 based CD in a trade. The quality of mp3s deteriorate rapidly every time a CD is ripped. Using high quality music files such as FLACs is essential in keeping the trading pool healthy.

Recording: 2,5 out of 5
Show: 4,5 out of 5
Artwork: none

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We were there that memorable evening in Amsterdam and enjoyed the show as much as you did.
I hope a full version of the concent does exist somewhere and becomes available in the near future.

If the backstreets mp3 you featured a few day a go, is anything to go by it should be excellent.
So whomever made that tape should know that several very appreciative fans are still hoping for that.